What did you “ship” in 2010?
If you have followed my posts for very long…or if you have followed me on twitter, you know that I am a Seth Godin fan. Sorry…just like his stuff.
I get a daily blog from him (aren’t you glad I don’t do daily blogs…whew) and at the end of the year he posted a blog entitled What did you ship in 2010 (check this out and note that one of his highlights was the Catalyst Conference…very cool). This got me thinking about what things I “shipped” in 2010. For most of us, the past 2 years have been a real challenge…and it would be easy to not examine the things we actually did get accomplished (by the way…“ship” is code for things you actually got done…things you started and actually completed…made public…made available to use, sell, promote…ministry initiatives you launch…etc). As part of his blog, he challenges his readers to develop their own list of things they shipped in 2010….so here is my list…this was actually very therapeutic (NOTE: This is not intended to be bragging…but rather a recognition and reflection):
1. Released my first book – Successful Master Planning: More Than Pretty Pictures
2. Released ministrEspace and facilitEspace software to the church market
3. Release the FOREVER FREE version of ministrEspace as our gift back to smaller churches
4. Developed COOL SPACE (don’t you love my last name) to interface a facilities HVAC system with ministrEspace to save time and money for churches
5. Was a workshop speaker at the national NACBA convention in Orlando
6. Lead a workshop at the WFX conference in Atlanta
7. Sold a house in the mountains of NC (What a huge blessing)
8. Wrote articles that were published in a half dozen or so national periodicals
Now…there are many other things that could be added to this list that are far more personal that relate to my family, spiritual growth, surviving financially, etc…and if you want to know what they are, you can contact me direct. I also have a list of items that did not “ship”. Some of which I was either unable or unwilling to buck up and get done or that needed more time, but which I am still committed to launch in 2011…stay tuned for more on these.
The fact of the matter remains, if we stay focused…and if we do not allow fear to paralyze us from completing the goals and tasks that we believe God has laid on our hearts and given us the skills to accomplish…then we can SHIP more than we realize. Fear is our worst enemy in this regard. The fear of failure…of ridicule…of criticism…of looking foolish…of things not being “perfect”…etc.
When fear grips me…and it grips me more than I want to admit…I look on my office wall to a plaque I have with one of my favorite Bible verses – Joshua 1:9: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
What did you ship in 2010?